Pumpkin Sweet Potato and Turkey Chili
(Paleo Friendly. Gluten Free. Dairy Free.)
It is truly all about PUMPKIN and slow cooker cooking this Fall! I’ll be honest, I am not a huge fan of touching ground meat (and I actually quit eating any type of ground meat and red meat for 15+ years).
That stated, I have started eating more ground turkey and this recipe makes it easy (not a lot of raw meat touching) and taste great, too! Since I don’t like to cook a lot of raw meat, I doubled up this recipe for 2 pounds of ground turkey so we could have a lot of leftovers AND that also reduces the times I have to cook raw meat!
Naturalita Ingredients (I use organic where possible.)
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 1 cup of diced onions
- 32 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 16 ounce can of pumpkin
- 1/2 cup black coffee
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (chopped in 1 inch or larger pieces)
- 3 carrots (sliced thick)
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp curry spice
- Himalayan pink salt and ground pepper to taste
Create it Naturally
- In a pan, cook onions and ground turkey thoroughly.
- In the slow cooker, while the turkey and onions on cooking, add tomatoes, vegetable broth, pumpkin, coffee, sweet potatoes, carrots and all spices. Mix well.
- Once the turkey and onion mix is done cooking, drain the fat from the turkey and add to the slow cooker.
- Mix everything together in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Enjoy your pumpkin turkey chili over fresh greens and topped with avocado!
If you have chili spice, feel free to add that! I am a believer in modifying recipes to suit your taste as well as what you have on hand. Use this time to play with what you have and your own taste buds, too. (That’s what I do!)
If you make this, please let me know! If you made any healthy changes to get playful with it, send me a note to let me know what worked for you.
Time in the kitchen is your time to get creative. I honestly don’t remember the last time I followed a recipe and I am truly enjoying the slow cooker to get creative and try new things, because you can’t really mess it up!
If you are interested in eating healthier, figuring out your portion control (in a simple way) and getting in daily exercise, I have an online group starting soon! More info on my Naturalita Healthier YOU group here.